Your feet are the hardest working body part and that is why they may associate with back pain. Therefore, if you take good care of your feet, you can easily prevent hip, knee and back pain. Regardless of whether you are leading sedentary life, or you are very active, the muscles in your feet can become either shortened and weak or tense and over-worked.
The intensity of your back, hip or knee pain can be also affected by the type of shoes you usually wear. For example, wearing flip-flops during summer may cause chronic hip and knee pain. In order to eliminate the pain you should replace flip-flops with anatomic shoes and do some stretching exercises.
To strengthen your feet practice the exercises every morning. They will help you to get rid of all kinds of pain you are feeling in various body parts.
Make sure you do the exercises regularly so that you can ease the pain in your knees, hips and back. Moreover, this will restore your balance and mobility as well.
You need only 20 minutes for these exercises. For better results make sure you exercise on a daily basis.
- Heel Raises
This exercise is perfect for your calf muscles. It also helps you to readjust the ankle joints and realign your tendons.
You can get better balance and strengthen your toes as well.
- Put a chair in front of you and slowly lift your left leg off the ground
• Bend the right knee and raise and lower your right heel. Make sure your foot aligns with your leg properly
• Do 10-20 repetitions and then switch legs. Repeat this exercise 3 times.
- Toe walking
Toe walking will strengthen your feet muscles and your legs. That is why it is good for fallen arches and flat feet. It can also strengthen the muscles and ligaments which surround the balls of your foot.
- Walk on your tiptoes for 20 seconds and make sure you keep your feet in straight position.
• Then, walk for another 20 seconds, while your toes are pointed outwards.
• Next, repeat another 20 seconds with your toes pointed inwards.
• Rest for 15 seconds and repeat the whole exercise 5 times.
- Ankle Circles
Ankle circles will loosen the tendons and muscles in your legs as well as the joints around your feet. Stiff ankles lead to restless legs and feet syndrome which causes back, neck and knee pain.
- Sit in a chair and make sure you are in a comfortable position
• Lift the right foot and move the ankle in a circular motion
• Point your toes as they reach 12 o’clock position and flex them outwards as they reach 6 o’clock position
• Repeat this exercise 5-10 times in clockwise motion and then change direction
• Switch feet and repeat the exercise 5-10 times
• Make sure you do five sets with each foot
- Toe Curls
This is another strengthening exercise which will help you to balance the foot action, increase the overall health of your feet and support your feet arches. They are especially useful for runners.
- Place a towel on the ground in front of a chair
• Sit in the chair and place your feet on the towel
• Use all toes of your left foot to scrunch up the towel in your direction
• After you have done 5-10 repetitions, scrunch up the towel back out again
• Repeat 5 sets for both directions and wiggle your toes between each set
• Repeat the same exercise with your right foot
- Resisted Flexion
This exercise is perfect for reaching the smallest muscles of your feet. It can also reduce the hip pain and strengthen the calf muscles.
- Sit on a the floor or in a chair and place a resistance band around your foot and hold it strongly with your hand
• Press the ball of your foot into the band as much as you can and resist the pressure of the band back
• Hold in both positions for 2 seconds and perform ten repetitions.
• Switch your legs and do 3 sets on each foot.